Name and image suppression has been continued for a teenager accused of the brutal bashing of war veteran Eric Brady in South Auckland last week.
Mr Brady was hospitalised for several days after being bashed while getting into his car outside the Papatoetoe RSA on February 18.
Name and image suppression was due to expire today for the 18-year-old from the east Auckland suburb of Pt England.
It was continued after his lawyer Amit Malik argued in Manukau District Court that it would compromise his right to a fair trial.
The accused denied attacking Mr Brady and that while identity was an issue it was unfair to reveal either his name or his image, Mr Malik said.
Judge Gus Andree Wiltens agreed, rejecting prosecution arguments that his right to a fair trial would not be compromised if only image suppression was granted.
The judge said he was concerned that potential jurors could search for images of the accused on the internet if his name was revealed, thus rendering the image suppression irrelevant.
We reckon that is an appalling decision from Judge Gus Andree Wiltens. The accused's reason for applying for suppression when he first appeared at the weekend was that so he could inform family. No wonder people question the justice system!