Labour's in-house polling on its capital gains tax reveals that it is unpopular with its own people.
ONE News political editor Guyon Espiner told TV ONE's Breakfast this morning that he had seen results of a Labour poll and they show that the biggest group of respondents strongly disapprove of the idea of the capital gains tax - 31% of those polled.
People were asked to rate the tax from 1 to 5, where 1 was strongly approve and 5 was strongly disapprove.
"The biggest group was strongly disapprove, at 31%, and 12% rated it a 4 - so about 43% disapprove or strongly disapprove," Espiner said.
There were 21% in the middle, with 17% strongly approve and 14% approve, an overall approval rate of 31%.
Oh dear. Far from being the circuit-breaker that Labour was hoping for, even Labour's internal polling is showing strong resistance to the idea. And is it mere coincidence that the numbers who approve (31%) is roughly the same as Labour is polling at the moment?
There's slightly better news for Labour where 58% of those polled disapprove of asset sales. There is, of course, a quantum leap between partial share sales where the Government retains a controlling interest, and the wholesale asset sales of the 1980's where Phil Goff and his Rogernome mates sold off assets holus-bolus to whoever was first to pull the chequebook out.
Phil Goff is gambling everything on his tax package. News that more than two thirds of Labour's very own punters do not approve of a capital gains tax is a huge setback for him. The One News poll due out on Sunday night and the next Roy Morgan poll will give much food for thought to those on the lower reaches of the Labour Party list.