Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A sensible decision

Conservation Minister Nick Smith has declined the application to build a tunnel to Milford Sound; the Beehive website reports:

Minister declines Milford Dart Tunnel proposal

The tunnel project proposed by Milford Dart Limited, through the Fiordland and Mt Aspiring National Parks, has been declined, Conservation Minister Dr Nick Smith announced today.
“I am declining this tunnel proposal because the environmental impacts are significant and beyond what is appropriate in two of New Zealand’s most spectacular National Parks and a World Heritage Area,” Dr Smith says.
The five-metre diameter, 11.3-kilometre long, one lane bus tunnel was proposed between the Dart Valley, adjacent to the Routeburn Track, through to Hollyford Valley. The $180 million project would have halved the travel time for the 420,000 visitors per year who visit Milford Sound.
“This is a significant decision and I have given it a great deal of thought and consideration. I have met the applicants, studied the major reports, sought thorough advice, visited the site, and weighed up strong views of both the supporters and opponents,” he says.
“There are three major reasons for declining this tunnel application. The first is that depositing half a million tonnes of tunnel spoil would permanently damage the natural and landscape values in Hollyford Valley. The second is the impact of the new roads and portals at each end, and particularly the impacts on visitors at the entrance to the Routeburn track. My third concern is that the engineering works and tunnel are inconsistent with the Fiordland and Mt Aspiring National Park Management Plans.
“I also have concerns about the economic viability and safety of this tunnel proposal. These issues are interrelated in that making a long narrow tunnel safe requires huge investment in ventilation and emergency systems. I am not satisfied that the tunnel can be safely built for a price that makes it economically viable. The risk for the Government under these circumstances is that corners are cut or the project is left half-completed with a clean-up liability for the public.
“Milford Dart Ltd late last week outlined an alternative tunnel that would be approximately two kilometres longer and which would relocate the eastern portal about three kilometres south east. This is a significantly different proposal on which I have not received any technical advice, and of which neither the public nor the hearing commissioner has had the opportunity to consider. I have determined that I have insufficient information to make a decision on this alternative.
“I appreciate my decision will be a disappointment to the applicants and their supporters. I do not in any way criticise them for their entrepreneurial spirit or ambition to ease access for the hundreds of thousands of people who visit Milford Sound. This is a conservative decision in which I have decided that nature deserves the benefit of any doubt.”
Reports and advice regarding this decision can be found at www.doc.govt.nz/milfordtunnel
 
This is a significant decision by Nick Smith, and one that he has taken plenty of time and plenty of advice to make. And we reckon that he has made the right decision, especially with regard to safety considerations. 
 
Nick Smith's decision will disappoint the developers Milford Dart Limited, but is likely to be greeted with widespread approval. We've only ever visited Milford Sound once ourselves, but the road in was scenic and spectacular enough that we couldn't really see the point of an 11km subterranean journey!
 

2 comments:

bsprout said...

I agree, KS. If the journey is too long why not stop at Te Anau and include a trip to the glow worm caves or visit Manapouri and the underground power station.

Let's hope he rejects the monorail proposal too.

Keeping Stock said...

A stay at Te Anau (with visits to Milford Sound, the glow worm caves and Lake Manapouri) was one of the highlights of my one visit to that area bsprout. I'm overdue to go back there!